Don’t want to work facing the public? Having a hard time balancing personal and work life? You might want to consider working at Libre Naturals.
Libre Naturals is the premier manufacturer of allergy friendly and gluten free natural snacks and cereals that are sold across Canada and the United States. Alana Elliott is the founder and she started the company because of her own family's multiple life-threatening food allergies. Her passion is to help families just like hers.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER THIS JOB?
This is a small, family-owned company that does not work weekends or evenings, making it an ideal place to have a life outside of work. Plus, you are manufacturing products that make a difference for people who otherwise couldn't safely enjoy what other people eat everyday. And, since we’re growing, there is potential for advancement.
We’re looking for a positive, committed, physically fit person for a full-time, permanent position for:
- 7 am to 3 pm Monday to Friday
We'd love to have you start right away if you can but we'll wait for the right person if you need more time to give notice.
- Measuring, cooking, mixing, labelling, packaging and boxing
- Following multiple step directions, recipes and checklists
- Working with your team to be efficient and maintain a steady speed
- Following set food safety requirements including detailed paper records
- Attention to detail, particularly with cleaning/sanitizing and quality
- “Can-do” is your middle name with a 2nd gear when things don't work out as planned
- You bring a positive attitude with you wherever you go
- You pride yourself on being punctual and reliable
- You’re aware and can see what needs to be done without waiting to be told
- You have a willingness to learn and can ask for help and/or more detail when it’s needed
- You can work well on your own but also work well in a team
- You are able to work with a wide variety of people, personalities and communication styles
- You can be on your feet for the day
- You are comfortable lifting, including 20 kg+ if you need to fill up ingredients during the day
- You have a healthy back and knees and healthy joints for repetitive tasks
- You can go up and down stairs easily
- You can wear head to toe personal protective gloves, hair nets, lab coats and sometimes face shields over your own comfortable clothing (jeans, yoga pants, t-shirts, etc.)
- At least 1 year of previous food production experience, including fast food/restaurant (chef skills are NOT required - training is provided)
- Minimum grade 10 completed
- Foodsafe Level 1 - must be current, NOT expired
- Other certificates an asset (First Aid, WHMS)
Like all food production, the following may not be worn at any time during your work day:
- jewelry (rings, bracelets, necklaces, ear, nose and other facial piercings)
- hair/eyelash extensions
- false eyelashes
- nail polish/false nails
This is a manufacturing job which means we work at different stations and perform repetitive tasks either by hand or with machinery. If you've ever watched food documentaries like "How It's Made", you'll have a better sense of what a food production job is like (although our production area is only about 2,000 square feet). You won't necessarily do all of these tasks every day but here's an example of how you might rotate through tasks with your team on a typical day when we’re making granola bars:
- If you're on the 7 am shift, you'll spend the first hour getting everything started for the day until the 8 am shift comes in.
- Then, the whole team spends approximately 3 hours making (cooking syrups, mixing, using machinery)
- About 2 hours cleaning/sanitizing OR boxing/casing (swapping off with your team during the week so that jobs rotate)
- If you're on the 8 am shift, you'll spend the last hour from 3-4 signing off on sending the packaged products to the warehouse and getting everything set up for the next day
- Throughout the day, expect to be signing off on detailed checklists
- $16.45/hour to start
- $16.78/hour after 6 months
- Further raises based on company reviews
- 5 Paid Sick Days/year (we also allow these days for your immediate family members including children, which can also include medical appointments)
- 3 Paid Volunteer Days/year (go on a field trip with your child/help out your favourite charity and be paid for it)
- Ingredient purchases at cost
- Free products to take home when available
PLUS, we have a unique Benefits Plan:
We put $100 a month of credits into a Flexible Benefits Account which you set up as a health and/or wellness account with what YOU want. Such as:
- Health Account (i.e. prescriptions, dental, massage, psychologist, glasses, braces, laser eye surgery, etc.)
- Wellness Account (i.e. gym membership, classes, cell plan, RRSP, daycare, vet bills, etc.)
Libre Naturals is inclusive; welcoming all who meet our requirements to apply. However, please ensure that you are able to get to our location at 6200 Scott Road every day. Unfortunately, our location is not well-serviced by busing. So if you're currently not living in the Cowichan Valley and/or can't get here easily, please do NOT apply, you will be automatically rejected.
Please email your resume with proof of your qualifications to Alana Elliott at firstname.lastname@example.org
*No phone calls or drop ins please. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.